SARS is currently seeing an increase in ‘phishing’ attempts which claim to be communications from SARS.
- DO NOT answer SMS’s or emails from ‘SARS’ without checking the reply address
- If it looks too good to be true, it probably is! NEVER reply to requests for banking details or passwords via SMS or email – SARS will never ask you for these
- Although your banking information may have been submitted to SARS by your employer (via secure EMP501 processes), any changes must first be verified in person with SARS (with a variety of documents to confirm your details/identity) before any refunds can be made
- SARS will never accept banking information updates/changes via email – this can only be done via a Tax Practitioner or a taxpayer visit to a SARS branch office
- Your SARS e-filing password is between you and the e-filing system/website –> no-one should require or need access to this other than you
To read more, visit www.sars.gov.za and see the scams/phishing section of the website.
If you are unsure about any query, please phone our offices on 021 683 4834.
All material subject to our Legal Disclaimers.