Start of 2013 Tax Season
SARS 2013 tax season officially started on 1 July 2013 and SARS is encouraging all taxpayers to use SARS e-filing channels to file their tax returns and avoid those queues at the SARS offices!!!
SARS is also now using Help-You-eFile service and eFiling MobiApp for smart phones to allow easier access to one’s tax returns – access 24 hours per day to reduce the risk of late submission and the administrative penalties for outstanding returns.
- Manual 2013 tax return submission (by post/drop off in a SARS drop box) is 27 September 2013.
- Non-provisional taxpayers via SARS e-filing is 22 November 2013 (Ie. employed individuals who earn an income from one or more employer).
- Provisional taxpayers via SARS e-filing is 31 January 2014 (Ie. Individuals with other forms of income – investment income, sole trader business, rental income or directors of companies/members of close corporations).
SARS has also increased the annual income threshold for mandatory submission of a tax return from R120 000 to R250 000 for non-provisional taxpayers. Taxpayers whose total Gross Income for the year is below R250 000 may not have to file returns if they meet the following criteria:
- they only earn one salary from one employer (i.e. they only have one IRP5);
- they do not have any other form of income (e.g. interest or rental income) and
- they need not claim deductions such as medical expenses, retirement annuities or travel expenses.
If you are uncertain whether you need to submit a tax return or not or need help with filing of your return, please contact our tax department to help you with your tax needs.
All material subject to our Legal Disclaimers.