Start of 2014 Tax Season
SARS 2014 tax season officially started on 1 July 2014 and SARS is encouraging all taxpayers to use SARS e-filing channels to file their tax returns and avoid those queues at the SARS offices!!!. SARS is also advising taxpayers to use their updated “Help-You-eFile” service and eFiling App (via App Store) for smart phones to allow easier access to the tax returns to reduce the risk of late submission and the administrative penalties for outstanding returns.
• Manual 2014 tax return submission (by post/drop off in a SARS drop box) is 26 September 2014.
• Non-provisional taxpayers via SARS e-filing is 21 November 2014 (Ie. employed individuals who earn an income from one or more employer)
• Provisional taxpayers via SARS e-filing is 30 January 2015 (Ie. Individuals with other forms of income – investment income, sole trader business, rental income or directors of companies/members of close corporations)
Taxpayers whose total Gross Income for the year is below R250 000 may not have to file returns if they meet the following criteria:
• they only earn one salary from one employer (i.e. they only have one IRP5);
• they do not have any other form of income (e.g. interest or rental income) and
• they need not claim deductions such as medical expenses, retirement annuities or travel expenses.
Beware of SARS tax scams – SARS will never request your banking information in any correspondences (this can only be done in person at a SARS branch office) – SARS website does not have links to any banks or banking websites hyperlinks – DO NOT ACCEPT OR SELECT THESE!
If you are uncertain whether you need to submit a tax return or need help with filing of your return, please contact our tax department to help you with your tax needs.
All material subject to our Legal Disclaimers.