Start of 2019 Tax Season – what you need to know to save you time and costs!
1 July 2019 is the official start of the 2019 tax season and SARS is encouraging all taxpayers to use SARS e-filing channels to file their tax returns and avoid those never-ending queues at the SARS offices!!!
- Manual 2019 tax return submission (via a visit to any SARS branch office) is 31 October 2019
- Non-provisional taxpayers via SARS e-filing is 4 December 2019 (Ie. employed individuals who earn an income from one or more employer)
- Provisional taxpayers via SARS e-filing is 31 January 2020 (Ie. Individuals with other forms of income – investment income, sole trader business, rental income or directors of companies/members of close corporations)
Individual taxpayers whose total Gross Income for the year is below R500 000 may not have to file returns IF they meet the following criteria:
- they only earn one salary from one employer (i.e. only have one IRP5);
- they do not have any other form of income (e.g. interest or rental income) and
- they need not claim deductions such as medical expenses, pension/provident funds, retirement annuities
- they need not claim have any travel allowance nor make use of a company car
- they need not claim donations made to valid Public Benefit Organisations (PBO’s)
- they need do not have any capital gains greater than R40 000 for the tax year
If you are uncertain whether you need to submit a tax return, if you need help with filing of your return or if you have queries on what documents SARS will require to ensure minimal tax queries, please contact our Tax department to help you with any of your tax needs.
Please contact our offices should you require any assistance in this regard.