Start of the 2015 Tax Season
1 July 2015 officially starts the 2015 tax season and SARS is encouraging all taxpayers to use SARS e-filing channels to file their tax returns and avoid those never-ending queues at the SARS offices!!!
SARS is advising taxpayers to use their updated “Help-You-eFile” service and updated eFiling App for smart phones (via App Store for iPhone4s/iPad2 and up or Google Play Store for Android devices) to allow easier access to the tax returns to reduce the risk of late submission and the administrative penalties for outstanding returns.
- Manual 2015 tax return submission (by post/drop off in a SARS drop box) is 30 September 2015.
- Non-provisional taxpayers via SARS e-filing is 27 November 2015 (ie. employed individuals who earn an income from one or more employer)
- Provisional taxpayers via SARS e-filing is 29 January 2016 (ie. Individuals with other forms of income – investment income, sole trader business, rental income or directors of companies/members of close corporations)
Taxpayers whose total Gross Income for the year is below R350 000 may not have to file returns IF they meet the following criteria:
- they only earn one salary from one employer (i.e. they only have one IRP5);
- they do not have any other form of income (e.g. interest or rental income) and
- they need not claim deductions such as medical expenses, retirement annuities or travel expenses.
Beware of SARS tax scams – SARS will never request your banking information in any correspondences (this can only be done in person at a SARS branch office) – SARS website does not have links to any banks or banking websites hyperlinks – DO NOT ACCEPT OR SELECT THESE!
If you are uncertain whether you need to submit a tax return or need help with filing of your return, please contact our tax department to help you with your tax needs.
All material subject to our Legal Disclaimers.